Traffic Information

(330) 872-0232

Use the jump-links below to quickly find what you're looking for:

General Information Regarding Traffic Court

You may visit the Clerk’s Office, Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M. The Clerk’s office is located in Newton Falls City Hall on the second floor at 19 North Canal Street, across from McDonald’s . Please review carefully all information on both the front and back of the citation that was issued to you.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I call to request time to pay my fine?
A: In some cases, you may request an extension from your original court date for good reason. In all other cases, you must appear in court before the Judge to obtain additional time.

Q: I forgot to pay my citation on time. Can I mail it on the court date?
A: If you have a waiverable citation, your payment must reach the court by your original court date.

Q: I forgot to show my insurance card to the officer and was told if I bring it in, I can just pay my fine. Is this correct?
A: Yes, if you have a waiverable citation you can mail or bring in a copy of your insurance card or policy showing coverage for the date of your violation.

Q: Will my fine be different if I come to court? How do I know how much money to bring?
A: The Judge determines the fine amount in court and there is no way of knowing what you will pay prior to your court appearance. The Judge reviews the records, listens to your comments, and bases his decision on all the information given. If you do not have money on the day of your appearance , the Court will sometimes allow you additional time to pay your fine. This is referred to as a payment agreement. There is a $30.00 fee for being placed on a payment agreement.

Q: I did not have insurance on the day I received my citation. Will my license be suspended? For how long?
A: Yes, your license will be suspended for 90 days by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, if this is the first case within five (5) years where you have failed to show proof of insurance for a traffic violation.

Q: Can I get driving privileges while my license is suspended?
A: Contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. For first and second insurance suspensions in a five year period, there are procedures to obtain privileges.


Payment of Fines

The Court accepts payment by cash, money order or credit card. Credit card payments can be made through this website (Online Payments) or by calling 1-866-895-0198. Money orders should be made payable to the Newton Falls Municipal Court and can be mailed. Please include the citation, a copy of the citation or the citation number on the money order.

Court costs are a minimum $125.00 (including charges that can be waived). These costs CANNOT be waived if a person is found guilty, unless the Court makes a determination that the person is indigent.

If you go to trial, there may be additional costs incurred for subpoenas, witness fees, etc. These fees are in addition to the minimum court costs.

The Court does not accept personal or business checks. If you attempt to pay in this manner, or pay late, a $10.00 costs will be added to your case.

There is a service fee for the use of a credit card.


To Plead Not Guilty

If you wish to plead not guilty you must either:

1) Appear in court on the date and time specified on the citation and enter a verbal not guilty plea, or

2) Enter your not guilty plea in writing by the date and time on the citation. You must have the citation number, your complete name and address and a phone number at which you can be reached and post bond to secure your appearance at all subsequent proceedings. Based on the not guilty plea the court will set a trial date and will notify you by mail of your date.

You must post a cash bond by sending a money order with your plea. Please call the Clerk's Office at 330-872-0232 to receive information about the proper amount. In addition, if you do not indicate in writing that you wish to waive your right to a speedy trial, your case will be set for trial within the time required, and no continuance will be allowed. In the case of a first offense, this will be within 30 days of the date you received the ticket. In other cases it will be within 45 days of the date of the offense.



The Clerk's Office can grant one (1) extension of your original arraignment date for a reasonable time at a cost of $5.00 for most cases, except more serious offenses that require an appearance on your original date.

A second continuance of your arraignment date or a continuance of your pre-trial, trial, or status hearing must be granted by a judge. There is a $15.00 charge for such continuances. You must request this continuance in writing explaining the reason for the request. The Court will notify you of its decision.


Mandatory Appearances

If your citation requires a mandatory appearance, report to the Clerk’s office on your stated court date noted on the citation at 8:30am and sign in. The Judge will call your case in the order in which you signed in - as much as possible.


Dress Code

All persons appearing before the court shall, as far as practicable, appear in appropriate business casual attire. The following attire is NOT appropriate: bare feet, flip flops, cutoffs, tank tops, visible undergarments, excessively revealing attire, any attire which contain offensive language or pictures (including sexual, drug, tobacco, or alcohol related). The Court expects that counsel will call this rule to the attention of clients and witnesses.


What to Bring with You to Court

  • Proof of insurance for the vehicle and driver for the date shown on the citation.
  • Valid operator's license.
  • Adequate funds to pay for fines and costs.


Failure to Appear

Failure to appear in Court as required will result in the following actions:

  • Warrant for arrest for failure to appear and contempt of court, which is a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine, jail or both. You will be required to post a bond, if arrested.
  • The Court will notify the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles of your failure to appear. The BMV will withhold the issuance or renewal of your driver's license and registration, and suspend your driving privileges until the case is formally closed.